Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Social Security Numbers

Applying for a Social Security Number

If you are a U.S. citizen residing in the Dominican Republic and need to apply for a Social Security number, you must complete application Form SS-5 and then submit it in person at the Consular Section's Federal Benefits Unit.  In addition to the application form, you must also include a copy of your U.S. passport and a certified copy of a birth record established before age 5.

Legal Permanent Residents of the United States ("Green Card Holders") must apply for a Social Security number in the United States.  This cannot be done at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo.

In the above scenarios, you should receive your Social Security card within three months of completing the application process.

Individuals born in the United States, currently over the age of 18, and applying for their first-time Social Security number must complete an additional statement explaining the delay.  The Social Security Administration is required by law to verify birth certificates presented as evidence in such cases with the registrar of vital statistics in the claimed U.S. place of birth.  In such cases, the process of obtaining a Social Security card could last six months or more.

U.S. Citizen Children Born in the Dominican Republic

Many (though not all) children born in the Dominican Republic to U.S. citizen parents may be documented as U.S. citizens through the Consular Report of Birth Abroad ("CRBA") process.  After the CRBA process is completed and passport of the child is issued, one of the parents must call (809) 731-4371 between the hours of 1:30pm - 4:30pm from Monday to Thursday to make an appointment to apply for the social security number of the child.  Face to face interview is needed, therefore parent must present valid picture ID, preferable US passport, and from the child: CRBA, US passport and Dominican birth certificate. 

Non-Resident Aliens  / Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Several classes of non-resident aliens are required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to file U.S. taxes.  To obtain an ITIN, you must file IRS Form W-7 with the Internal Revenue Service.  You may obtain a W-7 form from the Consular Section's U.S. Citizens Services (ACS) Unit or via the Internet at (PDF - 263 Kb).

Non-SSA Uses of a Social Security Number

Foreign Students: Some U.S. educational institutions use Social Security numbers for record-keeping purposes.  Aliens not otherwise entitled to a Social Security number and planning on attending school in the United States should ask the school to assign them its own internal number.  The Social Security Administration will not grant you a Social Security number for this purpose.

Financial Transactions:  If a Social Security number is required to conduct business with a U.S. bank or financial institution and Federal law does not otherwise allow the issuance of a number, ask the Internal Revenue Service for a Form W-8, Certificate of Foreign Status.


State Issues: Some U.S. states may require a Social Security number for record-keeping purposes. Aliens may not be granted a Social Security number issued for these purposes unless required by Federal law.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.