Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Immigrant Visas

How to Begin the Fiancé(e) (K-1) Visa Process

What is a fiancé(e) visa?

A fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 visa) is technically a nonimmigrant visa. Because the process is similar to that of an immigrant visa, however, the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo handles fiancé(e) visas. The fiancé(e) visa is for foreigners who wish to marry a U.S. citizen in the United States and then become legal permanent residents without having to leave the United States. K-2 visas are for the children of K-1 applicants.

How do I obtain a fiancé(e) (K-1) visa?

Your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must file a Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) by mail at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center in the United States with jurisdiction over your fiancé(e)’s place of residence. If your fiancé(e) is living outside of the United States, he or she must file the petition by mail at the USCIS Service Center in the United States with jurisdiction over his or her place of last residence in the United States. Once your fiancé(e) has filed a petition for you, you may check its status by accessing the USCIS Case Status Search Page.

USCIS forwards the approved petition to the Department of State’s National Visa Center, which then sends it to the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo. The Immigrant Visa Unit will send you a Package of Instructions for K-1/K-2 applicants.

Please follow the instructions exactly. Failure to do so could result in a delay in your case and could even cause you to lose your chance to live and work in the United States.

What documents are required for my interview at the Consular Section?

In the interest of preparing for your interview with a consular officer, please read the following Instructions for K1/K2 Visa applicants.