Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Ask the Consul

How can I renounce my legal permanent resident status and still visit the U.S.?

January 17, 2011

Individuals who wish to relinquish their legal permanent resident status but wish to visit the U.S. as temporary visitors should first schedule an interview through the Visa Information Center at 809-200-3232 to apply for a non-immigrant visa.  At the interview you will surrender your Permanent Resident Card (“green card”) and be asked to fill out a simple form, which establishes that you voluntarily, willingly and affirmatively wish to abandon your legal permanent resident status.  Once the consular officer is satisfied that you have the proper intention and understanding of the law, the officer will take the “green card” and give you a copy of the completed form.  It is important to carry a copy of this form when traveling to the U.S.

In order to obtain a non-immigrant visa, you must still comply with the requirements for the visa.  Even though you have voluntarily given up your permanent resident status, you still have to prove that your ties to the Dominican Republic are such that they outweigh any remaining ties to the United States.  If, though, you have been outside the U.S. for more than one year without pre-approval from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status.  The burden of proof remains with you.  Though there are no guarantees that you will receive a non-immigrant visa, normally an applicant who renounces his legal permanent residency is granted a tourist visa. 

The abandonment of legal permanent resident status is irrevocable.  Individuals who relinquish their LPR status must qualify again for such status by beginning the immigration process anew and re-apply through the usual application process.  Individuals should carefully consider their decision to abandon or to renounce their lawful permanent resident status.